Skip to main content

MS077: Morgan Construction Company Records

 Collection
Identifier: MS077

Scope and Contents

Includes: correspondence with the Morgan Construction company, ledger books and account books for the Morgan Construction Company and the Morgan Motor Company; ephemera relating to the family reunions and retirements; newspaper clippings; newsletters for employees and employee handbooks; reports on mill construction; instructions for the operation of the mills; mechanical drawings of the mills; patents, patent drawings, patent models and patent litigation materials; files relating to specific projects or contracts; motion pictures of the mills; photographs of the mills; and other materials.

Some materials were removed from this collection and added to the MS 003 Charles Hill Morgan papers.

Organized into the following series:

I. Executive files II. Administrative files a. Ledgers b. Correspondence, reports and handbooks c. Photographs and Portraiture III. Marketing materials a. Correspondence, reports and brochures b. Newsletters and programs c. Clippings and Anniversary publications d. Realia e. Motion pictures IV. Project files a. Early correspondence, 1888-1917 b. Reports for the United States Department of Defense 1943-1945 c. Morgoil bearings, 1964-1979 and undated d. Stelmor, 1960-1979 e. Correspondence, 1935-1996 f. Photographs g. Mechanical drawings

Dates

  • 1881 - 2008

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Permission of Archivist. Pension files closed for 50 years.

Conditions Governing Use

Copyright restrictions may apply

Biographical / Historical

The Morgan Construction Company was founded in 1891 in Worcester Massachusetts by Charles Hill Morgan and was acquired by Siemens Ltd. in 2008. The Morgan Construction Company was primarily involved in the creation of steel mills for steel companies domestically and internationally. The Morgan Construction Company was a family business that spanned 5 generations. Charles Hill Morgan was president from 1888-1911. Paul B. Morgan was president from 1911-1941. Philip M. Morgan was president from 1941-1965. Paul S. Morgan was president from 1965-1986 and Philip R. Morgan was president from 1968-2008. The Morgan Construction company also had close ties with its other family businesses in the beginning of the 20th century including the Morgan Spring Company and the Morgan Motor Company. Beyond steel mills, the Morgan Construction Company also made Morgoil bearings, Stelmor cooling systems and during WWII they made flame throwers for the M4A1 tank.

Significant inventions for the Morgan Construction Company and the founder Charles Hill Morgan include the Morgan continuous rod mill (1878), Reel for coiling wire-rod (1880), Shears for cutting rods while in motion (1893), Morgoil bearing (1931), No-twist mill (1963), and the Stelmor cooling system (1964) created in conjunction with the Steel Company of Canada (Stelco).

Extent

888 Linear Feet (374 boxes)

Language of Materials

English

Japanese

French

German

Chinese

Abstract

Correspondence, administrative papers, media and ephemera relating to the steel mill construction firm, Morgan Construction Company.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Gift of the Morgan Foundation. Separate acquisitions in 1972, 2011, 2012.

Related Materials

MS03: Charles Hill Morgan papers

Title
Morgan Construction Company Records
Author
Krista Ferrante, Lukasz Pomorski, and Bess Pittman
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Code for uncoded script

Repository Details

Part of the WPI Manuscript Collections Repository

Contact:
100 Institute Rd
George C. Gordon Library
Worcester MA 01609 USA